Make an informed decision.
While our therapists aim to restore the relationship when beneficial to the couple, we also offer discernment counseling to assist you in determining if divorce is the right step. Discernment counseling is a specialized service designed to help couples evaluate options and identify the right direction for their marriage when one partner is “leaning in” and another partner is “leaning out” of the relationship. Through a maximum of five 90-minute to two-hour sessions including joint and individual sessions, your therapist will help you assess whether your marital problems are solvable and illuminate possible solutions.
Discernment counseling is based on the following principles:
• Life-long commitment is especially difficult in today’s throwaway culture.
• Children have an important stake in the health and endurance of their parents’ marriage.
• Marital commitment brings obligations to work on a troubled marriage before giving up.
• Because most troubled marriages can be restored to health if both partners dedicate themselves to make that happen, the first stance of the therapist should be to help see if the path of healing through couples therapy is possible.
• Because love and fairness must go hand in hand, healing a marriage must not come at the expense of one of the spouses.
• Some divorces are unavoidable because one partner chooses the path of divorce, sometimes against the wishes of their spouse.
• When clients choose divorce, their therapist has a responsibility to make them aware of additional resources, including individual therapists and divorce professionals who can facilitate a fair and healing separation process.
Discernment counseling is not suited for situations when one spouse has already made a final decision to divorce, when one spouse is coercing the other to participate, or when there is danger of domestic violence.